Mikael is a Trust and Estate Practitioner (“TEP”) with almost 10 years professional experience advising on a wide range of both private and corporate client matters. He has also obtained a Bachelor of Science in Accounting For Management with Integrated Industrial/Professional Training with Honours from Aston University in Birmingham, the UK.
His specialisms include the establishment and management of trust and corporate structures in Gibraltar, as well as the majority of important international finance centres around Europe, the Americas and the Caribbean.
He began his career in 2007 in the Trust and Company Management division of STM Group Plc (previously BDO) one of the largest licenced trust companies in Gibraltar, where he trained as a TEP. He gained an invaluable foundation to his career working closely with BDO’s London office to setup trusts, companies, foundations and LLPs in Gibraltar, the UK and the BVI. In addition he worked closely with STM’s tax advisory office in Sotogrande, Spain, their QROPS pensions office in Malta, as well as the trust companies in Jersey, Switzerland and Cyprus.
As Senior Company Manager at Acquarius Trust Group since 2013, Mikael is responsible for managing our Trust and Company Management division and supervising a team of administrators with the support of the Board.
Drawing on his wealth of experience his client activities include:
- Advice on the establishment and management of corporate vehicles and efficient structures in Gibraltar.
- Business establishment advice in Gibraltar including, corporate establishment, negotiating premises, trade and regulatory licencing and the employment of staff.
- Advice on setting up and management of back office structures including administrative processes, systems, and regulatory controls.
- Advice on Gibraltar taxation and consolidation of third party international tax advice.
- Project management of complex international advisory projects, and consolidation of multi-advisor projects.
- Investment appraisal and fiduciary decision making.
- Liaising with UHNWI/HNWI clients, their lawyers, tax advisers, accountants, bankers and property managers, as well as directly with tax authorities, companies registries and land registries.
- Assisting legal advisors in the preparation of all corporate documentation required for large international transactions.
- Assisting a number of regulated client companies with their statutory and regulatory affairs.
- Responsible for drafting documentation for client company board meetings and annual general meetings.
- Attendance at Client company board meetings and annual general meetings.
- Trust administration tasks such as the drafting, amending and reviewing of trustee minutes, loan agreements, sale and purchase agreements, letters of wishes and deeds of appointment.
- Company administration tasks such as responsibility over incorporations, liquidations, redomiciliations, annual returns, appointments and retirements of directors, secretaries and shareholders.
- Investment tasks such as the opening of trust and corporate bank accounts, investment portfolios, registering yachts, property sales, purchases and rentals, foreign exchange, gold and government bonds.
- Assistance with the licencing, establishment and management of companies in the Fintech, ICO and DLT sectors.
Mikael sits on the board of a number of client companies for which he has been authorised by the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission and as a representative of our licenced corporate director, shareholder and secretary.
Mikael also speaks fluent Spanish and Finnish, being originally from Finland and having live in Spain, Malaysia and the UK.
When not in the office, Mikael is generally found with his wife and friends. His passions include traveling, tasting good food and wine, as well as watching and playing football!