Spanish tax?

It didn’t take long for the changes after the treaty was signed and the Agencia Tributaria to get the letters out to everyone who spends any length of time in Spain. The veracity with which they are doling out letters demanding money is astounding and I fear even UK holidaymakers will eventually find themselves with a bill.

Dear Mr Bloggs, You may recall in 2015 you spent a lovely fortnight in Alicante at the hotel El Lotteria del dinero. Well your room number came up and we won! Please fill out the attached form after reading the 5 pages or legal Spanish and send it back to us within 14 days from the date above. Sincerely Paco.

This sad fact is this isn’t close to a joke and it is incumbent upon you as a resident of Gibraltar to prove you are NOT resident in Spain! Yes. Having an I.D. card, paying taxes, social insurance, having an address and also offering a Permit of Residence from the Gibraltar Government still won’t guarantee it. So what do you do?

The first thing you need to do is contact Cruzlaw with our partner law firms in Spain we can help so you don’t have to worry about language differences or residency provided of course, you are genuinely resident in Gibraltar. Call us or email via