Travel to EU post Brexit?

The UK Government have some excellent details on their various websites and if brexit is worrying you, well don’t it isn’t worth it. However you do need to know what you can and cannot do in the event of brexit. The place to start is the UK Gov’s tailor made information site all about an EU exit so if want detail go there. If you want to know a few general things that may affect us Gibraltarians or a those resident in Gibraltar please read on. Firstly though our own Government website has no specific information so default as I did to the UK Government site, no doubt as it unfolds there will be nuances so nothing is certain as far as we are concerned but we can generally expect UK rules to also apply to us in terms of the EU.

First thing to note that at this point with the couple of weeks extension given to UK the 29th is now not a deadline… sort of. However there may be changes from 12 April if there’s no deal. What these are depends on what you are doing so below is some basic information that may help like checking if your passport is valid etc.

However you travel, check before you leave for any delays or disruption.

Driving: you may need extra documents

If there’s a deal, you can continue to drive in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland in the same way as before. Bring your UK driving licence, and your V5C (log book) if you’re taking your vehicle from the UK.

You’ll need some extra documents if there’s no deal.

If you’re taking your vehicle, you’ll need:

  • a free ‘green card’ – allow 1 month to get this from your car insurance company
  • GB sticker for your car
  • an International Driving Permit (IDP) – get this over the counter in participating Post Offices (each permit costs £5.50)

If you’re hiring a vehicle abroad, you’ll need an IDP – get this before you leave.

You will not need an IDP to drive in Ireland.

Follow the guidance on preparing to drive after Brexit for more information. This includes changes to which IDP you need to drive in other European countries.

Flights: will continue as normal

Even if there’s no deal, the government says that:

  • flights will continue as normal
  • airport security procedures will not change for direct flights to and from the UK
  • there should not be delays at airport security if you change flights in EUairports

Coach travel: check back to confirm

Existing regular bus and coach services will continue to run.

The government is working with the EU to make sure coach holidays and tours continue.

Check back for updates.

Channel tunnel: trains will continue to run

Travel on Eurostar and Eurotunnel will continue to run even if there’s no deal.

Ferries and cruises: will continue to run

Even if there’s no deal, ferries and cruises will continue to run.

Compensation if your travel is disrupted

Some travel insurance policies only cover certain types of disruption. Check your provider’s terms and conditions to make sure you have the cover you need if your travel is cancelled or delayed.

Your consumer rights will not change, even if there’s no deal. This means that if your travel is cancelled or delayed you may be able to claim a refund or compensation. Check your booking’s terms and conditions to find out more.

Pet travel: allow 4 months to arrange

If there’s no deal, you will not be able to use the existing pet passport scheme.

Instead you’ll need to follow a different process, which takes 4 months.

Follow the guidance about pet travel to Europe after Brexit.

Mobile roaming: free roaming may end

I have checked the Gibtelecom site and today, 26th March 2019 they have nothing specific in reference to our local roaming tariffs. As far as UK are concerned, which should mean us too if there’s no deal, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get after 12 April.

The government says a new law will limit roaming charges to £45 per month.

If your travel company goes out of business

You’re protected if you buy a package holiday and the company goes out of business.

You get this cover even if it’s an EU company and there’s no deal, as long as the company targets UK customers.

Otherwise, you can claim compensation if you used your credit card. You’ll continue to be able to claim for payments between £100 and £30,000.

A few things that may help but remember always check the Gibraltar Government site for local details.